Friday, July 24, 2009

Myeloma transplant - Pre-transplant planning

Once the transplant decision was made my planning began.
I spoke to other transplant patients, read about transplants extensively and obtained information from the transplant team, nurses and doctors as I wanted to know everything that could happen so if something did happen I new why, what it was and how to cope. No surprises, I wanted to stack all the odds in my favour. I couldn’t see the point in having major medical treatment, life saving treatment without knowing what, why, how, it’s part of controlling ones own destiny. All that information helped me prepare, plan and focus for what was coming up. I could visualise the whole process and this included pre transplant, the transplant and the recovery period at home. This helped in my mental preparation. I have used visualisation, mental preparation and positive affirmation before with success.
The most practical advice I received came from listening to and reading about other myeloma transplant patients, their story, and their experience. Their personal knowledge of what it felt like, how their body reacted, their emotions and feelings, what happened, what didn’t happen and what was unexpected.
I split my planning into three stages.
Pre transplant (this posting)
Transplant
Recovery

Your local hospital, transplant team and support team will give you handouts, booklets, DVD and access to excellent information of the whole transplant process. More information can be obtained from the internet, use your favourite myeloma web reference.

Pre transplant support
Meeting with my BMTU nurse introduced me to pre transplant information and my transplant support team.
I welcomed the new people into “Team Sid” and the Team Sid philosophy emphasising they were all on my side, in my team working together helping me.
My support team comprised:
Transplant coordinator
Transplant nurse
BMTU nurse
Registrar
Consultants.
Dietician
Pharmacist
Physiotherapist
Social worker
Cancer society; liaison nurse and counselling.
Leukaemia and blood support.
Caregiver, Myra.
GP General practitioner (my Doctor)

Pre transplant medical tests
Meeting with my BMTU nurse introduced me to pre transplant information on all the medical tests required.
Many tests and form filling, some continuing or repeated during transplant. My attitude was let’s do it. Tests are to confirm what is OK and to find if any thing is amiss, that’s all in my interest. Being inquisitive I learnt what the tests were for, followed the procedures with interest, enjoyed the moment meeting some interesting and very professional people along the way. I made it a positive experience. Part of my myeloma journey.
These tests included;
Dental check-up
24 hour urine test
Chest x-ray
Heart function electrocardiogram (ECG)
Lung function test
Bone marrow biopsy
Blood tests. Full blood count, kidney, liver, renal, thyroid
Clotting screen
Iron,
Blood glucose, virus screening

This is one of “part 2” a series of postings relating to my autologous stem cell transplant for myeloma. As they are complete the posting series can be found under labels/part 2 [Here.]

1 comment:

La Cootina said...

I also had to attend a 4-hour "transplant class." It was actually very helpful - several others asked questions I hadn't though of. Good luck and best wishes.