Saturday, August 8, 2009

Myeloma transplant - Visualisation

When talking to another myeloma transplant patient he mentioned that he had used a visualisation scenario during his myeloma transplant. Being a NZ Army veteran he used a battle theme complete with appropriate military music.
Having used visualisation before I decided yes, I can visualisation during my transplant.
I enjoy the outdoors, walking, the bush (USA trails); this was to be my theme.
My vision was standing on the edge of a cliff looking down at a pathway that descended into a valley. At the bottom of the valley there was a swamp with hidden obstacles. Across the swamp was another pathway, the way out, this pathway ascended to the other side. Beyond that in the distance was a huge golden archway, where the grass was green, birds were chirping and bone pain was forbidden. That golden archway was my goal.
What does all this mean?

Standing on the edge of a cliff.
This was the beginning of my transplant. The planning was complete; let the myeloma transplant journey begin.
Walking down into the valley.
As my white counts dropped I would descend down to the bottom of the valley. The pathway was meandering and undulating being the variables of treatment.
In the swamp with hidden obstacles.
That was the low point, white counts at their lowest and mucositis was active. I was vulnerable, wading through the swamp the hidden obstacles being the unknown.
The pathway up.
White counts were rising, I could start the ascent. Similar to the descent, the pathway was meandering and undulating being the variables of treatment.
At the top on the other side.
Discharge day, I was at the end of my transplant. Back home recovering, setting my sights on the golden archway.
The golden archway.
The golden archway represented my post transplant 100 day test results. I visualised successful test results allowing me to walk through the golden archway into the plateau stage. Back to good health, the start of the golden years.

All this was written down to be read and visualised during transplant. Myra was up to speed and shared the visualisation helping me through the difficult stages.
Did it help me?
Well, I believe it did. It gave me another coping tool, another focus for my mind, a journey through transplant. My goal was the golden archway, the end result, success.

This is one of “part 2” a series of postings relating to my autologous stem cell transplant for myeloma. As they are complete the posting series can be found under labels/part 2 [Part 2 link]

No comments: