Sunday, March 7, 2010

Soft tissue plasmacytoma update 1

A quick update.
Went to the oncologist last week for a 6 week post radiation follow up. All is well; the two soft tissue plasmacytoma on my skull have reduced as expected. I asked for my hair back and all I got was a smile.
Unfortunately 3 more lumps have appeared and my IgG and paraprotein are rising.
The problem now is not soft tissue plasmacytoma in isolation but my myeloma being systemic (throughout the body). We need to treat the cause, myeloma returning.
I have been in discussion with my haematologist. The last treatment cyclophosphomide and dexamethasone only gave me 3 months remission. Valcade and Lenalidomid are not available by Pharmac for free in NZ, my options are reducing. As a result we are exploring the option of a clinical trial, preferably Lenalidomide and dexamethasone.
Big appointment Wednesday 10th afternoon.
Will tell you more when I know for sure.

Link:
Soft tissue plasmacytoma
Pharmac

1 comment:

Lorna A. said...

I hope things go well for you and you manage to get onto a clinical trial. It's frustrating when drugs aren't available to everyone equally. In the UK we have a situation when a drug is available to eveyone in Scotland and Wales, but not England or Northern Ireland.
Keep up the good work.
Lorna.