Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rev-lite trial: cycle 2, day 18.

My cycle 2 of Rev-lite trial is at day 18 with some good achievements in the last 2 weeks.
There have been no problems with the trial treatment of lenalidomide and dexamethasone, less fatigue, sleeping well with the occasional extra nap when tired.
First achievement is with my fractured right femur where I have moved from using the big walker for support to using one crutch to using no crutch. I can now bear weight on the leg and only use the crutch in public to protect myself. A 30 minute walk each day is now a regular event.
Being able to walk means I can now drive the car which gives me more independence.
My main problem in showering has been fear of falling. This was overcome once I was able to bear more weight on the leg giving me confidence to shower and dry myself.
My pain relief has been reduced again, most myeloma bone pain has gone allowing me to spend time sleeping on my sides rather than only my back. To roll over from side to side in bed is bliss.
The big achievement is being able walk the stairs at home. Yesterday we moved from the single beds downstairs back to the master bedroom upstairs and into our Queen bed. The bed upstairs has a Woolrest woollen underlay between the mattress and bottom sheet. I missed the warmth it gives. Waking overnight to turn over I could feel warmer especially where my body was in contact with the underlay compared to no underlay. Best of all was sleeping with Myra next to me again.
Next achievement will be to maintain my Rev-lite trial progress, continue regaining strength and fitness and a return to work part time.
As I get better I am thinking less of myeloma, illness and myself. Now it is other things as well, signs of getting back to normal.

4 comments:

Rebecca Weber said...

Sid, This is such wonderful news-all of it. I was especially touched to think of how wonderful it must be to sleep next to your wife. I know I love being able to wake up and reach to touch my husband. My prayers continue for you.

Rebecca Weber

Kevin Brownless said...

Hello from the UK! I 'went wrong' 5 yrs ago and have since had both auto and allo SCTs, plus plasmacytoma (head) and aspergillus (nose); the radiotherapy for the plasmacytoma totally dissolved my mouth lining, which was horrible.

I've been down the thalidomide/velcade/revlimid road and the revlimid seems to be working very well for me. Like you, I remain fervently optimistic; there's always someone worse off elsewhere. Stay optimistic at all times like me! Kevin (53) Wimborne, Dorset, UK.

Sid said...

Gosh Kevin, you have had a bit of myeloma damage there.
Revlimid seems to be working for both of us.
We are attitude brothers, remain optomistic.
Keep in touch, good health.
Sid

SandersBlog said...

You can use the crutch to keep the 50,000,000 sheep away! I'm told they can be dangerous.....
en.sandersblog.nl
Sander