Friday, December 18, 2009

Autologous stem cell transplant for myeloma

This concludes Sid’s multiple myeloma journey Part 2 “ASCT 1”, the second part of my multiple myeloma journey.
It covers my myeloma journey from the end of initial VAD treatment, transplant planning, stem cell harvesting and the autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT) for myeloma and the recovery into my first plateau stage.
There have been 22 transplant postings.
A link to a summary of the part 1 postings (the beginning) can be found here.
Click on the red title links to go to the posting highlighted.
All links come up in a new page.
If you would like to contact me via email my email address is in with my profile.
Feel free to add a comment to any posting.

Myeloma transplant – Preparation
Decision reasons to proceed with an ASCT.

Myeloma transplant – Pre transplant planning
Once the ASCT decision was made my planning began.

Myeloma transplant – Stem cell collection
My stem cell collection, the process, my reaction including severe pain and blurred vision resulting in a central vein occlusion.

Central vein occlusion
Tests for and results of my central vein occlusion.

Myeloma transplant – Planning
My planning of how to live in the BMTU, it was to be my home for 3 weeks. Delegation, support and help.

Myeloma transplant – Caregiver
Myra my wife and caregiver. Could not do without her. What she did.

Myeloma transplant – Visualisation
My visualisation scenario used as a survival tool during ASCT.

Myeloma transplant – Stem cell infusion
The day of my stem cell infusion, an important day but an anti-climax.

Myeloma transplant – Diarrhoea
Transplant diarrhoea is a bit like sex, you have to experience it to believe it.
Hints and help to get through it.

Myeloma transplant – Dry skin
Dry skin and lips from air conditioning and chemotherapy, what I did to overcome it.

Myeloma transplant – Emotions
My emotions caught me by surprise. Up and down, tears and anxiety. A truthful account of my experience.

Myeloma transplant – Hair loss
Hair loss did not worry me, the heat loss from my bald head did.

Myeloma transplant – Nausea
Nausea was a problem for me starting 6 hours after high dose melphalan and continuing for 6 weeks.

Myeloma transplant – Food
During ASCT eating is a challenge, I found hospital food unpalatable. Myra prepared most of mine. I lost 7.2 kg (15 lb)

Myeloma transplant – Mucositis
Paying attention to a mouth wash routine helped me, but mucositis was still there.

Myeloma transplant – Exercise
I had good intentions, kept exercise up but when fever and fatigue came I backed off.

Myeloma transplant – Mind games
Keeping on top of mind games was a challenge.

Myeloma transplant – Days -02 to 05
A summary of days -02 to 05 from my diary including my feelings, daily treatment/medication, bloods and weight.

Myeloma transplant – Days 06 to 11
A summary of days 06 to 11 from my diary including my feelings, daily treatment/medication, bloods and weight.

Myeloma transplant – Days 12 to 15
A summary of days 12 to 15 from my diary including my feelings, daily treatment/medication, bloods and weight.

Myeloma transplant – Days 16 to 22
A summary of days 16 to 22 from my diary including my feelings, daily treatment/medication, bloods and weight.

Myeloma transplant – Recovery
How I coped during the recovery period.

1 comment:

mlbraunsroth@west.com said...

Sid,
I have to say I have been researching Multiple Mylenoma Stage II IgG Kappa and stem cell transplants for about five months. Your site and information has been absolutely invaluable to me. The best reading I have found. I was diagnosed with MM in April of 06 with no treatment necessary at that time. I have been on Revlidmed and Dex for five months now since Nov 09. I am scheduled for a stem cell transplant April 1, 2010 if all tests come back positive. Your site puts everything in a nice neat package. Thank you! Minda Braunsroth, Omaha, Nebraska, USA. Female 58 yrs old.